Leave feedback
  • Question

How to deal with changes in a scripting function that is used by multiple applications (projects) in Persuasion

Enter a new topic
  • Jos van Berkel Jos van Berkel
    0 likes 3111 views

Hi,

Our production environment is still running on 4.1.2. We have a lot of projects. For every document we made a separate project.   
    If I change a function and restart the service in control center the modified function is automatically available for all projects that use that function because the function file is stored once in the export folder.      

I am now doing a pilot to convert from 4.1.2 to Persuasion. I see that I have to create a separate application in the application domain for each project. Each application gets it's own directory structure in the applications/../data/function_file folder.

My question now is:
    Does this mean that I have to redeploy all projects every time I change one function? 

Regards,

Jos van Berkel

Friday 12 February, 2010
  • Best Answer
    Stefan Cohen Stefan Cohen StreamServe Employee Administrator
    0 likes

That is correct. The developer may have his own strs installation or access to a separate test applicaiton on the test/prod server where he can test the sub project without disturbing the production environment.

It is always a good idea to have at least three different environments for project development:

• Dev - Developer workstation with DC and StreamServer, streamStudio
    • Test - Staging server for testing. Only StreamServer/StreamStudio
    • Prod- Production server. Only StreamServer/StreamStudio
    Monday 15 February, 2010
  • Pierre Schuurmans Pierre Schuurmans Partner
    0 likes

Does this mean that you create 1 project which is also 1 application?

In that case you should work with global resources but still you have to deploy each application.

The best way is the way it is described in the guideline manual of DC. Where you create a global resources set and a global project and link the projects to the global project.

in that case you get 1 application which you have to deploy.

Saturday 13 February, 2010
  • Stefan Cohen Stefan Cohen StreamServe Employee Administrator
    0 likes

Jos. Function files are stored in a resource set. A resource set can as Pierre mentioned be shared between several projects.

The Design Center Guidelines (DC Guidelines.pdf) document is located here

Saturday 13 February, 2010
  • Jos van Berkel Jos van Berkel
    0 likes

When I follow the Guidelines I will end up with 1 application containing one Main project containing all sub Projects.

On page 21 of the DC Guidelines it says: Each developer can export and deploy his sub Project separately in order to test sub Project specific functionality.

Am I right in saying that for the developer this sub Project is a separate Application on his work station were he has an up and running StreamServe environment as well, including a StreamServe Enterprise Repository, Framework and Control Center?

Once the sub Project is tested the developer should send the package to the person who is reponsible for the Global project. This person should unpack the sub Project in the proper directory of the Global project and deploy the Global project with al its Sub projects.

Is this the way to go?   

Monday 15 February, 2010
  • Stefan Cohen Stefan Cohen StreamServe Employee Administrator
    0 likes

That is correct. The developer may have his own strs installation or access to a separate test applicaiton on the test/prod server where he can test the sub project without disturbing the production environment.

It is always a good idea to have at least three different environments for project development:

• Dev - Developer workstation with DC and StreamServer, streamStudio
    • Test - Staging server for testing. Only StreamServer/StreamStudio
    • Prod- Production server. Only StreamServer/StreamStudio
    Monday 15 February, 2010