Leave feedback
  • Question

StoryTeller/Composition Center process with textfile output

Enter a new topic
  • Jon Jonsson Jon Jonsson
    0 likes 1066 views

Hi,

I want to use Composition Center to let the users add a text that in the end should be placed in a standard (ascii) textfile. I have tried with a StoryTeller process with a single Section, connected to a file output connector with the 'Matrix Printer/Text File' driver.

It partly works, but the output is corrupted, e.g., text set in CC:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxyzåäöABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVXYZÅÄÖ!"#¤%&/()=?

will come in the output as

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxyzåäöABCDEFGHIJKLM&/()=?TUVXYZÅÄÖ!"#¤%

The project is based on the code page 'UTF8', but I have tried several other code pages also in the output connector, with the same result.

Have anyone done some likely tests with success? Ideas that could be tried?

Or, is the StoryTeller process with CC sections, on the whole, not supported to be used together with a textfile output?

BR
    Jon Jonsson, Sogeti

Monday 07 July, 2014
  • Best Answer
    Jon Jonsson Jon Jonsson
    0 likes

I had support from OpenText that solved the issue, here is the comment I received:

===== In general, StoryTeller is a device independent tool and it does not know on its own that it formats for the text output driver. It just generates output pages same as for example for PDF. It will take some extra work to setup the layout such that it would work with the matrix driver. Usually it requires placing the text object on a page to match the default matrix driver grid and use mono spaced font with corresponding metrics. The default matrix driver grid is 10CPI/6LPI. This is matched by font Courier New 12 points with paragraph line spacing set to exact value 12 pt. There may be some problems setting the CC settings such that it would generate output with 6LPI line spacing, but if you are going to generate one liners for SMS, that would probably not be that important. The other possibility is to use new unpaginated HTML driver and apply some XML transformation on the resulting stream to just extract the plain text. ===== My solution was extremly easy, I just used font 'Courier New' with 12 p when applying the text in Composition Center. Then the output is correct. BR Jon

Wednesday 09 July, 2014
    0 likes

Don't know what happend with the formatting in my previous text, hope you can read it anyway (I do not have the option to correct it...)

Wednesday 09 July, 2014
    1 likes
    Jon Jonsson wrote

I had support from OpenText that solved the issue, here is the comment I received:

===== In general, StoryTeller is a device independent tool and it does not know on its own that it formats for the text output driver. It just generates output pages same as for example for PDF. It will take some extra work to setup the layout such that it would work with the matrix driver. Usually it requires placing the text object on a page to match the default matrix driver grid and use mono spaced font with corresponding metrics. The default matrix driver grid is 10CPI/6LPI. This is matched by font Courier New 12 points with paragraph line spacing set to exact value 12 pt. There may be some problems setting the CC settings such that it would generate output with 6LPI line spacing, but if you are going to generate one liners for SMS, that would probably not be that important. The other possibility is to use new unpaginated HTML driver and apply some XML transformation on the resulting stream to just extract the plain text. ===== My solution was extremly easy, I just used font 'Courier New' with 12 p when applying the text in Composition Center. Then the output is correct. BR Jon

Wednesday 09 July, 2014