Leave feedback
  • Question

PDF and CSV

Enter a new topic
  • Christofer Lindqvist Christofer Lindqvist StreamServe Employee
    0 likes 2264 views

Hi,

I have a question about possible solutions and i just wanted to see if there are any good ideas out there that could help me on my way.

I want to create an application that gives the customer an easy way to send out marketing material etc created from a PDF layout and using an CSV file (for example) for address information.

What i really would like is to use the PDF as an overlay directly, but that is not possible as far as i know. Of course i could process the PDF with PDF-IN, creating an LXF and using that as overlay, but that would give me a problem with fonts etc.

Any good ideas?

Regards,
    Christofer

Monday 16 April, 2012
  • Mats Pursche Mats Pursche OpenText Employee Partner
    0 likes

Hi Christofer,
    I'm not sure if it's doable but maybe you can have a filter that reformats the pdf to a gif or other image, and use that image in some way.

You could perhaps use the CSV as indata to trigger all processes, and have a script that reformats the PDF to image. Put that image in the background of a StoryTeller process.
    Is it single page or multiple pages?

best regards,
         /Mats

Monday 16 April, 2012
  • Markus Anding Markus Anding StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

"Image Magic" can do the conversion to i.e. TIF, since TIF can hold multiple pages. I'm not sure which quality you will get though.

Monday 16 April, 2012
  • Christofer Lindqvist Christofer Lindqvist StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

Hi,

It could be either single or multipage.

Filter on the inconnector that does a TIF conversion might be a good idea. Ill look into it to see if that might give me a better, more robust, solution.

Thanks,
    Christofer

Monday 16 April, 2012
  • Vyv Lomax Vyv Lomax Administrator
    0 likes

Would you want your application to be able to handle simple variable place-holders too? If so then I think the PDFIN method is to be recommended.

Considering the amount of times that customers have asked to build a similar function in StreamServe to MS Word's Mail Merge I am surprised that one has not been built already.

Examples that I have come across and built bespoke are:

-    PrintShop – Emergency cover letters (with Excel input)
    -    Retail – Mass mailings to customers advertising items with short sell dates (with PDF input)
    -    Credit Card – Mass mailings with up-sell products to existing customers (with PDF input)

Each one of these has been a pretty much one-time affair yet the process has been the same – mass mailings based on templates and an address register.

Isn’t it about time someone built a sellable product?

Tuesday 17 April, 2012

Latest from the blogs

Read more