Leave feedback
  • Question

Stored variables vs Metadata keys

Enter a new topic
  • Irina Boldysh Irina Boldysh
    0 likes 2091 views

Hello,

Could someone suggest the best practices for using Metadata keys and Stored variables?

It's understandable that Metadata keys should be created for data that used for retrieveing documents for repository, enveloping, sorting.

But what's about data that used in scriptting when documents retrieving: for example, invoice id that used for output file name?? Is using stored variables is better solution in this case??

Or if for example invoice id used for set output file name and enveloping, is it more rational to create stored variables for invoice id to use in scripting, than getting as metadata???

I'd be grateful for any suggestions/thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Monday 09 April, 2012
  • Best Answer
    Stefan Cohen Stefan Cohen StreamServe Employee Administrator
    0 likes

Yes. Metadata is as you wrote used when selecting documents from or manipulating documents in the repository. Stored variables are variables from scripts in phase 1 (prior to storate in the PP repository) that you would like to have available for scripts or settings in phase 2 (after the documents has been retrieved from the PP repository).

//Stefan

Monday 09 April, 2012
    0 likes

Thanks, Stefan. I think my understanding has become more clear. So, will try to use on practice.

Monday 09 April, 2012
  • Stefan Cohen Stefan Cohen StreamServe Employee Administrator
    1 likes

No problem. I also think you might find the following articles interesting:

Post Processing Part 1

Post Processing Part 2

Post Processing Part 3

Regards,

Stefan

Monday 09 April, 2012
    0 likes

Yeah, definitely! Thanks for links.

So, I'm also faced with case when the same variables are needed to use in enveloping and scripts in phase 2. I create metadata keys for them (for enveloping).

As I also need to available it in scripts, I could create stored variables and use in scripts after retrieving, so from first view it's easier to use stored variables that retrieving metadata values (additional scripts functions calls).

So, there is a question what's the best solution in this case?? However, get  values from metadata by calling correspondent functions, or duplicate this value as stored variables. How it seems from perfomance, capacity, etc.. point of view??

Tuesday 10 April, 2012
  • Stefan Cohen Stefan Cohen StreamServe Employee Administrator
    0 likes

I think you should duplicate the values as stored variables in that scenario.

//Stefan

Tuesday 10 April, 2012
    0 likes

Else one THANKS for your excellent articles. It really give me an answers for my questions and a lot of additional useful information. So, I'm going ahead and optimise my projects. :)

Br, Irina.

Wednesday 11 April, 2012

Latest from the blogs