Leave feedback
  • Question

Email Connector - error handling

Enter a new topic
  • Roberto Avalos Roberto Avalos StreamServe Employee
    0 likes 2346 views

Hi,

Has anyone implemented successfully the handling of bounced emails using our standard smtp(mime) connector?

We would like to forward bounced emails to another email address.

Thanks,

Roberto

Monday 24 October, 2011
  • Best Answer
    Peter Martens Peter Martens StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

Hi,

For one customer we have used a special "reply to" address, and then scanned the subject line for the document-id, to know which document bounced.

this is no garantee, since there is no standard if, and if, how a bounce mail is returned.

Regards,

Peter

Monday 24 October, 2011
  • Christofer Lindqvist Christofer Lindqvist StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

Hi,

I agree with Peter, there is no standard solution on how to do this since StreamServe only delivers the email to the mailserver successfully, and the reply of the bouncing email comes back to the mailserver, not StreamServe.

I think having the reply-to address as something specific, only used for this, and scanning the incoming emails for certain data would be the only way for StreamServe to know if something has gone wrong. When triggering a bouncing email you would need to reprocess the bouncing document as well i guess, just like Peter mentions.

Regards,
    Christofer

Tuesday 25 October, 2011
  • Roberto Avalos Roberto Avalos StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

Thank you both. I will test the "reply to" approach and scan for incoming emails.

Tuesday 25 October, 2011

Latest from the blogs

Read more