Leave feedback
  • Question

Write to shared directory

Enter a new topic
  • Christofer Lindqvist Christofer Lindqvist StreamServe Employee
    0 likes 1789 views

Hi,

Im trying to write my output to a shared directory on another server but experience some problems.

When i try to write to \\<server>\<share>\ i get the following error:
    File outconnector: Cannot create directory \\<server>\<share>

If i try to write to a subfolder to the root share it works fine, for example \\<server>\<share>\<newfolder>\

The user running the application has full access to both share and security.

It seems like im not able to write to the root share at all, but if i have a subfolder it works fine (existing or created on the fly doesnt matter).

Any ideas?

Regards,
    Christofer

Monday 03 October, 2011
  • Best Answer
    David Bares David Bares OpenText Employee Administrator StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

I think you cannot "create" the output folder identified just by the share name. That makes sense.

The question is if you need to have "Create directories" flag activated when you write directly to the share name. You cannot create that folder anyway.

Without this flag activated it is possible to write output to //server/share/

I understand that in some cases when you dynamically decide where the output goes and sometimes the directories should be created this would still be a problem.

Monday 03 October, 2011
  • Ronnie Wilhelmsen Ronnie Wilhelmsen StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

Hi Christofer,

Does the functional user have full access below:
    Properties -> Sharing -> Advanced Sharing -> Permissions?

BR`
    Ronnie

Monday 03 October, 2011
  • David Bares David Bares OpenText Employee Administrator StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

I think you cannot "create" the output folder identified just by the share name. That makes sense.

The question is if you need to have "Create directories" flag activated when you write directly to the share name. You cannot create that folder anyway.

Without this flag activated it is possible to write output to //server/share/

I understand that in some cases when you dynamically decide where the output goes and sometimes the directories should be created this would still be a problem.

Monday 03 October, 2011
    0 likes

Yes, the user has full access.

If i create a subdirectory with another user it can write there. If i create a new share with the same user, and try to write to that directory it complains on "cannot create directory", and if i add a subdir that works.

So i doubt (but can never be 100%) that it is a user access problem (if there isnt any higher security settings for the shares).

Regards,
    Christofer

Monday 03 October, 2011
    0 likes

The "create directories" flag is turned on and it will create subdirectories in some cases, but not in this one. Of course we only want one outconnector used for this.

So the connector is trying to create the folder although it already exists? Or its making sure that it could create that folder, if necessary. Doesnt really make any sense to me.

Regards,
    Christofer

Monday 03 October, 2011
  • David Bares David Bares OpenText Employee Administrator StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

I agree that it should check if the folder exists.

It just seems to me that when this flag is activated, the connector always tries to created it.

Maybe there are some cross-platform concerns that we do not see why it is implemented the way it is. Maybe not.

Monday 03 October, 2011
  • Ronnie Wilhelmsen Ronnie Wilhelmsen StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

I'm shooting from the hip here. But i remember having a problem similar to this back in 2005. And if i'm not remebering it wrong, the solution was to turn RPC service on. Which for some reason wasn't running on the server (or the client). I believe it is on by default.

BR
    Ronnie

Monday 03 October, 2011
  • Heikki Jaakkola Heikki Jaakkola
    0 likes

I know this is old but I have the same thing. Is there no way to create a new folder in destination folder?

2 weeks ago
    0 likes

Well, i think it is, as long as you dont specify the root as your folder.

For example. If you have a share \\server\root\folder you will not be able to create a new folder in there (i.e. \\server\root\folder\invoices\). But if your share is \\server\root\ and then specify your path as \\server\root\folder then you should be able to create the folder, i think.

Or something similar :)

2 weeks ago
    0 likes

I think now the problem isn't the share. I tried to save to a another shared location and succeeded.

The difference between those two places are that the user which runs the service doesn't have rights to the root in the location where the folder creation is unsuccessful.

I have to investigate more.

2 weeks ago
    0 likes

I haven't solved why I could write in other location but not to another.

I made a workaround which uses an external bat-file. The bat-file contains an mkdir command. Then I used execute function in streamserve. That was the only way I could get this to work.

2 weeks ago

Latest from the blogs

Read more