Leave feedback
  • Question

Count pages in StoryTeller

Enter a new topic
  • Christofer Lindqvist Christofer Lindqvist StreamServe Employee
    0 likes 2927 views

Hi,
    I need to know the number of pages for a document when using StoryTeller. Is there a function that i can use for this (after process)?

Docpages doesnt seem to work, returns 0. Does it have to do with how doctrigger works with StoryTeller?
    Pages seems ok. Though, if you have more than one process that needs to be counted into the same document, i guess it would fail as well?

The value is needed to update a database with statistics over printed pages.

Regards,
    Christofer

Wednesday 22 September, 2010
  • Best Answer
    Christofer Lindqvist Christofer Lindqvist StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

That would work.
    Though i hoped that there could be a generic solution for StoryTeller and PageOut i could use, that wouldnt require changing the script for all deployed applications.

Right now i think we will use Pages after process, since this will give us the number of pages for the process. We will modify the StoredProcedure to be an StoryTeller specific SP and update the value for the documentid in the database instead of setting the value for the whole document at once.

Thursday 30 September, 2010
  • Vyv Lomax Vyv Lomax Administrator
    0 likes

Try looking at the manual - for the heading 'Adding Page Numbers'. P100 of the StoryTeller documentation.

Wednesday 22 September, 2010
  • Tony RANNOU Tony RANNOU
    2 likes

Hi Christopher,

There is a fragment that exists. On your page, right click, insert / new fragment / page number or page of pages.

After right click on this fragment, and choose 'edit fragment', and you can modify it !!!

Thursday 23 September, 2010
    0 likes

Hi,
    I think the question was misunderstood a little bit.

The pages value shouldnt be used IN the StoryTeller process. Its needed to update a database with statistics about printed pages, therefore the discussion about docpages and pages "after process".

Today we have 100's of PageOuts in X amount of projects where we use a DocPages function "after process" to update a database with statistics for the current document. The update triggers a stored procedure in the database which sets the value.

When using StoryTeller we dont have the possibility to know if the document will continue with another process (or another message) at "after process", so therefore i cannot trigger the stored procedure in the same way due to the stored procedure "setting" the pages value of the document instead of updating. Due to the amount of projects and PageOuts we dont want to change the stored procedure either since this will affect to many projects.

So what i need is to be able to get the pages value of the document somewhere, and set that value on the document in the database via the same stored procedure that is used for the PageOuts.

Friday 24 September, 2010
  • Tsen-Tiam Chu Tsen-Tiam Chu StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

Hi,

How about puting a Page counter in all the different page definitions in your StoryTeller process? And then use that counter in your stored  procedure for all other processes??

Regards,
    Tsen-Tiam

Tuesday 28 September, 2010
    0 likes

That would work.
    Though i hoped that there could be a generic solution for StoryTeller and PageOut i could use, that wouldnt require changing the script for all deployed applications.

Right now i think we will use Pages after process, since this will give us the number of pages for the process. We will modify the StoredProcedure to be an StoryTeller specific SP and update the value for the documentid in the database instead of setting the value for the whole document at once.

Thursday 30 September, 2010