Leave feedback
  • Discussion

Virtualization Support

Enter a new topic
  • Stefan Cohen Stefan Cohen StreamServe Employee Administrator
    0 likes 2434 views

Ben submitted a a blog regarding the support for virtualization environments in SP5 recently. I thought it would be interesting to hear what experiences the community has with running StreamServe on variaous virtualization platforms.

Here's a lsit of virtualization environments that I've successfully used Persuasion SP5 on so far:

• VMWare Server/Workstation/Player (win & linux hosts and clients)
    • VMware ESX (win & linux clients)
    • Oracle VirtualBox (win host, win and linux clients)
    • Microsoft Azure (win clients)
    • Amazon EC2 (win and linux clients)

Have you used any other platforms? Please comment below.

Friday 17 September, 2010
  • David Shih David Shih StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

On Intel-based Mac hosts, Strs works fine under VMware Fusion 3 and Parallels Desktop 5. Nice thing about Fusion is that it can use VMware images from other platforms. Parallels comes with a virtual machine import tool, but it's rather slow.

• David Shih David Shih StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

And technically, this isn't virtualization, but on IBM iSeries (AS/400), there's are (were?) xSeries adapter modules. Basically an x86 computer as a daughter card that is plugged into an iSeries host. The xSeries cards can have separate physical I/O devices; or they can share the network interface of the host and use virtual disks (i.e. OS/400 sees it as a large sparse file).

We have a number of customers running 4.x and Persuasion (pre-SP4) with these units.