Leave feedback
  • Discussion

Why page() function in StoryTeller?

Enter a new topic
  • David Bares David Bares OpenText Employee Administrator StreamServe Employee
    2 likes 2720 views

There is a good chance that we could get strs script function page() implemented in StoryTeller.
    You probably know that current implementation returns 0 when called from scripts in StoryTeller context.

Of course we all work around it in a way that we increment some counter ($page_number++;), but having a function that we can just call is more convenient and safer. I always forget to increment the counter on all page types, or call the master fragment that does it for me. Easy to fix, but sometimes takes time to realize what is happening.

So the situation is that developers would implement page() function, or some st equivalent, but they want to see the use cases when it would be used. The point is that we need to convince them.

I will add some, but I'm sure that you have more and better. So please post them and good luck.

Thanks, David

Tuesday 27 July, 2010
    0 likes

Use case: Skip numbering on first 1 or more pages

My StoryTeller document starts with "control" page that should not be included in page numbering. Second page in my document should have a page number 1.

That is why I cannot use the standard page of pages substitutions.

Tuesday 27 July, 2010
    0 likes

Use case: Different page headers on pages in sequence

I generate a document that should have different headers on front pages and back pages. My company uses standardised master page for that. But master page needs to decide which fragment to call, depending of the page number in the document.

Tuesday 27 July, 2010
    0 likes

Use case: Repeat address on every 7th page of my document

Our company uses post processor with enveloping. Longer documents can be split into multiple envelopes, but the address needs to be replicated in every envelope. I would like to reduce the overflow area on each 7th page and place the address information into the envelope window area.

Tuesday 27 July, 2010
    0 likes

Use case: Table of content

I need to generate a table of content in my document. For that I need to store topic description and respective page number on which the topic landed. I will list this information once all topics are formatted.

Tuesday 27 July, 2010
  • Peter Martens Peter Martens StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

Another use case:

The customer wants to store the paper type for each document and for each page in an external table (substitution or odbc). So they need the page number as part of the key.

Monday 02 August, 2010
  • Gerard van der Stelt Gerard van der Stelt Partner
    0 likes

Use case: Specific overlays

I use overlays to draw some sort of (vertical) table lines. Therefore i need to know the following:
    - Single page
    - First page
    - Body page
    - Last page

All but first is possible through workaround, but for single page i also need Pages() next to Page().

Saturday 05 February, 2011