Leave feedback
  • Question

pcl to PDF

Enter a new topic
  • Arthur Jedeloo Arthur Jedeloo
    0 likes 3301 views
    I'm working on a migration to StreamServe (5.3) comprising a considerable amount of different documents; hundreds. Step 1 is to have StreamServe process all incoming documents and output them as PDF/print, no changes made. In consecutive iterations subsets will be identified and analyzed to start utilizing StreamServe advantages. The first iteration will be the processing of PCL output from the sending application. Question remaining. Is StreamServe capable of processing PCL formatted input and use the PCL code to have its input converted in a PDF? Wednesday 26 May, 2010
  • Best Answer
    Henrik Wejdmark Henrik Wejdmark StreamServe Employee Administrator
    0 likes

If you are running on UNIX then you can use GhostScript to convert PCL and PS to PDF instead of using the EMF processor.

//Cheers

Henrik

Wednesday 26 May, 2010
  • Magtiel Jimenez Magtiel Jimenez
    This reply has been removed Wednesday 26 May, 2010
  • Vyv Lomax Vyv Lomax Administrator
    0 likes

Hi there Arthur - StreamServe (as far as I know) does not have a method to recognise PCL input. PCL is a very loose and forgiving language and is notoriosly difficult to break down. (Contra PS / AFP / PDF etc). There is a PCL filter available within the standard list of filters (see filter chains) - yet I have never tested it or seen anyone else use it. (Anyone with input here?)

BUT you can always print your PCL files to a special StreamServe logical printer that has an EMF print processor in it. Thus we can capture an EMF (Enhance Meta File) image and send it to PreformatIN via the LXF format. From there you will have to break down text/images as best as you can.

Please search your installation guide.pdf documentation for further info on installing the EMF printer.

In previous projects I have always converted my PCL files to PDF first and then taken them in into PreformatIN. There are a million tools out there that can do this. Please contact me for a list.

I hope that this helps a little - please let us know how you get on.

Wednesday 26 May, 2010
  • Henrik Wejdmark Henrik Wejdmark StreamServe Employee Administrator
    0 likes

If you are running on UNIX then you can use GhostScript to convert PCL and PS to PDF instead of using the EMF processor.

//Cheers

Henrik

Wednesday 26 May, 2010
  • Arthur Jedeloo Arthur Jedeloo
    0 likes

Hi Vyv and Henrik,

Thanks for having me thinking! I will have the pcl convert to PDF externally. StreamServe will process them without any adjustments and store them in a PostPrcessor. Mixing this flow with other sending applications for enveloping is possible from here on.

Regards, Arthur

Friday 28 May, 2010
  • Peter Martens Peter Martens StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

At one client I put the pcl to pdf converter we used in the pdf driver of version 2.1 in an input filter, this is working now for a few years without problems.

Regards,

Peter

Sunday 06 June, 2010
  • Lee Chit Way Lee Chit Way
    0 likes

I would like to generate the PDF but the printer that I am using is intermec PM4i printer. Can I know under Unix how can I generate the driver and implement it under Unix?

Regards,

Chit Way

Thursday 03 May, 2012
  • Stefan Cohen Stefan Cohen StreamServe Employee Administrator
    0 likes

Hi Lee,

I think you should post a new topic for your question rather than replying to this old post as your question does not seem to be related. 

Regards,

Stefan

Thursday 03 May, 2012

Latest from the blogs

Read more