Leave feedback
  • Question

Bold text with advanced text tool not working

Enter a new topic
  • Kristofer Fagerström Kristofer Fagerström
    0 likes 3402 views

I'm trying to get a recurring header to be displayed in bold but when i click "B" for bold nothing happens and when I try to create an afp file, it's not bold.

Instead i tried switching to the bold version of the same font. In PageOUT it now looks bold and it looks good in the preview. When i create the afp-file however, the header isn't printed at all.

The weird thing is that other headers not using advanced text tool work fine with the standard font but with bold activated.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Friday 19 March, 2010
  • Best Answer
    Ronnie Wilhelmsen Ronnie Wilhelmsen StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

Hi,

A new update. The problem is solved. The previous suggested solution to have the font represented with the faulty name "Modena Condesed Bold Bold" in the font map table did the trick. The font map table for the SDR connector was mistakenly not updated during the first try.

CONCLUSIONS
    This problem shows that StreamServe sometimes forces the Style attribute Bold onto the name of a 'Style linked' font when searching for the font in the map-file table. In this case it was also shown that the font Modena Condensed Bold was interpreted as being (forced) bold through the font "bold option"-button(which is a 'synthetic' way of making a font bold) in Page Out whereas it actually is a bold-font by design. It is possibly the effects of an 'as designed' issue. And not an error or a bug.

/Ronnie

Thursday 01 April, 2010
  • Ronnie Wilhelmsen Ronnie Wilhelmsen StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

Hi Kristofer,

Did you add the bold 'version' of the font in the font mapping for the AFP driver?
    Are you using the same font for the 'other headers'?

What font are we talking about?

Best Regards
    Ronnie

Monday 22 March, 2010
  • Stefan Cohen Stefan Cohen StreamServe Employee Administrator
    0 likes

The Advanced Text Tool (ATT) differs from the Text Tool in that you can set properties on specific parts of the textual content. You wrote that nothing happens when you click "B". Make sure that you select a portion of the text that you want to make bold (or all of it, using CTRL+A) before you click "B".

The attached example illustrates this difference between the Text Tool and the ATT.

Monday 22 March, 2010

Attached files

0 likes

Hi Ronnie,

I checked the afp2wfnt_hi3g.map file and found that the fonts we're using, Modena Condensed and Modena Condensed Bold, seem to be commented out. Could this be the problem? If so, why do the other text labels using it keep working?

Thanks!

Monday 22 March, 2010
    0 likes

I've made sure I've selected the whole variable before klicking "B". The button is pressed down, but when i deselect the text and then reselect it again it's back to normal text and has forgotten the "B".

When i choose Modena Condensed Bold however it automatically selects "B" and even remembers it when I reselect the text.

Monday 22 March, 2010
    0 likes

Hi Kristofer,

If the afp2wfnt_hi3g.map really is the map-file used for the AFP driver and you have no attached font substitution table to the connector(check the font substitution table option on Device Driver Settings on platform) it is a problem.

Could you double check to see if the font used for the 'non'-ATT headers really is the Modena Condensed font?

What happens when you uncomment the Modena Condensed Bold(only if it is not represented in a font substitution table) and then print AFP with the Bold variant of the font family?

Best Regards
    Ronnie

Monday 22 March, 2010
    0 likes

Hi! I found the font substitution table and it contained, amongst others, the following lines:

Font "Modena_Condensed"
      ReadFont "ModenConReg.ttf" SelectPrefix "Modena Condensed" Codepage "Ansi" FontEmbed
    Font "Modena_Condensed_Bold"
      ReadFont "ModenConBol.ttf" SelectPrefix "Modena Condensed" Bold Codepage "Ansi" FontEmbed

Is this the reason the fonts are being printed although they are commented out in the afp2wfnt_hi3g.map file?

Should the normal lables or variable-labels in PageOUT handle the fonts differently?

Since the text shows up fine in the PageOUT preview, could it be something with the afp driver instead?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Kristofer

Monday 22 March, 2010
    0 likes

Hi Kristofer,

Yes it is the reason. But be aware that the font substitution table is really not a substitution table. A substitution table font is disregarded if the font is present in the driver font mapping. Hence you can add fonts, but not really 'substitute' them.

Is the same substitution table used on the PDF connector?
    Do you get any warning/error messages when printing the AFP files? 
    Could you send me/upload an AFP file?

BR
    Ronnie

Tuesday 23 March, 2010
    0 likes

Hi, in the application log i just spotted the following row (about ten of them on top of each other):

0323 095033 (3184) 3 (font, not found in):Modena Condensed Bold Bold, SDR_Hi3G

Could this mean anything?

I'll email you the afp-file.

Tuesday 23 March, 2010
    0 likes

Hi Kristofer,

It explains a lot. The Bold font is missing or misrepresented in the SDR Post Processor driver. This also explains the fact that the PDF can produce a correct representation.

Even if the AFP driver has the Modena Condensed Bold represented in the font mapping the driver never gets to see the font since it has never been stored correctly in the post processor repository. The PDF driver on the other hand is probably not used in cojunction with the Post Processor Repository. Am i correct?

Check the Modena Condensed Bold representation for the SDR driver.

BR

Ronnie

Tuesday 23 March, 2010
    0 likes

There has been some dialogue and investigation off thread. A brief update:

The Modena Condensed Bold font is represented in both the SDR and the AFP driver. There are still problems with getting Bold font representation in the AFP file through the advanced text tool. Page Out tool does not allow the deactivation of the bold button for the Modena Condensed Bold font. An error message in the log suggests that the StreamServe SDR driver mistakenly searches for the Bold Font with the keyword Bold attached to the name. A workaround has been suggested:

Add the keyword Bold to the fontname in the mapping file. This would help StreamServer finding the font.

This problem could be an 'as designed' effect of style-linked fonts. Investigeation is ongoing.

/Ronnie

Thursday 25 March, 2010
Next

Latest from the blogs

Read more