Leave feedback
  • Question

Work with StreamServe software by Citrix?

Enter a new topic
  • Jesper Werge Jesper Werge StreamServe Employee
    0 likes 3292 views

Hi all,

I have a request about working with StreamServe via Citrix login, I know that this is not supported by StreamServe, but I also know that some of your customers has setup this some how.

I am looking for some documentation on how and what to do if working from Citrix, and behaps what is not possible?

This is Persuasion, 4.x and 3.x StreamServe versions in play.

/Jesper

Monday 22 February, 2010
  • Best Answer
    Enrik Beste Enrik Beste StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

Hi,

I am currently in a testing phase with one of my customers. I cannot tell you if all our findings are specific for our customer (dependent on their CITRIX settings) or more general nature.

- We are using special fonts which are availabe on the CITRIX server (in fonts directory). Our projects are already created and will only be updated (no resources like fonts need to be added). We do not have font problems currently.

- The DesginCenter settings are stored in the registry which is cleaned up (reset) once the user logs out. All settings on DesignCenter are lost than (e.g. CVS settings, Options, etc.). Customer has a special software in use which was activated. The registry is stored after the session and reloaded when starting aseesion. They have a specific user assigned network drive

- You do not have a local folder you can access. If you work with CVS you need a check out drive which is then somewhere in the network. It has to be different from other users using CVS.

- ControlCenter stores the sites you can see when you open it up in a file under
    C:\Documents and settings\<user>\Local settings\Applications\StreamServe\ControlCenter\5.4\model.xml
    This file is removed everytime you log off from CITRIX session. Based in support there is no way of changing the location. I will doublecheck with the CITRIX admin if we can provide a solution here.

Hope this helps

Enrik

Wednesday 24 February, 2010
  • David Shih David Shih StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

Hi Jesper,

A few things to note:

1. It's not supported. (As you know, but we need to make this 110% clear to the customer.)
    2. There is no official documentation because this is an unsupported configuration.
    3. If the customer runs into *ANY* problems, make sure they replicate the problem on a local workstation prior to calling Support.
    4. Most setups should work fine. [The old Profile Manager Directory Server is an exception: make sure to install that component locally.] Make sure to disable any antivirus software beforehand. If you have any services that depend on the Print Spooler service (e.g. TCP/IP Print Services), make sure to stop them before running the Port Monitor (i.e. StreamServer/Communication Server) setup.
    5. Control Center should work fine
    6. Citrix (and MS Terminal Services) map system directories (e.g. C:\Windows\Fonts). The actual system directories are unavailable to sessions running in remote desktop environments.
    7. Design Center in a remote desktop environment cannot access the actual fonts directory. If you use any custom fonts, they may not display properly in Design Center. And your exports will probably fail.
    8. No special setup is required to execute the StreamServe tools in a Citrix or Terminal Server environment. The users will need read/execute permissions on the C:\Program Files\StreamServe directory, plus read/write access to the StreamServe project/export directories (e.g. D:\StreamServe\Projekt). They do not need to be Administrators: just regular Users.
    9. Did I mention it's not supported?
    Monday 22 February, 2010
  • Stefan Cohen Stefan Cohen StreamServe Employee Administrator
    0 likes

#7 can be worked around by manually importing the needed fonts to the resource set from a physical location of those fonts.

The physical font location is hidden to the guest OS (see #6) and thereby also to DC. A system administrator should be able to tell where the fonts are actually stored.

Monday 22 February, 2010
  • Enrik Beste Enrik Beste StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

Hi,

I am currently in a testing phase with one of my customers. I cannot tell you if all our findings are specific for our customer (dependent on their CITRIX settings) or more general nature.

- We are using special fonts which are availabe on the CITRIX server (in fonts directory). Our projects are already created and will only be updated (no resources like fonts need to be added). We do not have font problems currently.

- The DesginCenter settings are stored in the registry which is cleaned up (reset) once the user logs out. All settings on DesignCenter are lost than (e.g. CVS settings, Options, etc.). Customer has a special software in use which was activated. The registry is stored after the session and reloaded when starting aseesion. They have a specific user assigned network drive

- You do not have a local folder you can access. If you work with CVS you need a check out drive which is then somewhere in the network. It has to be different from other users using CVS.

- ControlCenter stores the sites you can see when you open it up in a file under
    C:\Documents and settings\<user>\Local settings\Applications\StreamServe\ControlCenter\5.4\model.xml
    This file is removed everytime you log off from CITRIX session. Based in support there is no way of changing the location. I will doublecheck with the CITRIX admin if we can provide a solution here.

Hope this helps

Enrik

• Jesper Werge Jesper Werge StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

Hi all,

thank you for all your answers, I really preciate the input, thanks.

• Christer Nojdh Christer Nojdh StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

Hi!

The problem we have with DesignCenter and the font handling is that SHGetSpecialFolder on a Terminal Server returns the users font folder, not the system font folder where all fonts are located so our export fails and we have not yet found a way around this.

However I've found some interesting information on special folder enumerations and would like to test the following powershell script, if anyone have access to a Citrix / Terminal Server /  Remote Desktop Service with powershell installed, could you please run the following script and reply / send the result.

$rtn = New-Object psobject -Property @{"Value"=$null; "name" = $null; "path"=$null; "type"=$null}
    1..500 |
    ForEach-Object {
    $rtn.Value = $_
    $rtn.name = (new-object -com shell.application ).namespace($_).title
    $rtn.path = (new-object -com shell.application ).namespace($_).self.path
    $rtn.type = (new-object -com shell.application ).namespace($_).self.type
    if($rtn.name -ne $null)
    {
    if ($rtn.name -like "Font*")
    {
    "$($rtn.value) $($rtn.name) $($rtn.path) $($rtn.type)"
    }
    }
    }

On my machines it returns

20 Fonts C:\Windows\Fonts File folder
    276 Fonts C:\Windows\Fonts File folder

Where 20 is defined as ssfFonts (hex 14) and 276 is hex 114, so on a multi user machine I'm hoping to get different folders

Any help with this test would be appreciated

Christer

Tuesday 29 June, 2010
  • Enrik Beste Enrik Beste StreamServe Employee
    0 likes

A few add-ons:

Re: Fonts
    The easiest way is adding the fonts in a non CITRIX environment. Then you can use DesignCenter/Project on CITRIX

Scripting
    In our CITRIX environment you cannot do the snytax check in the script window. It returns "Can't control syntax". This might differ from CITRIX to CITRIX.

Tuesday 19 October, 2010